A BOLDLY BLENDED RESTAURANT IDENTITY
In Boston’s Godfrey Hotel, Ruka Restobar is a transformative Nikkei concept that celebrates a bold intersection of food & culture. Proportion worked with COJE, the group behind the region’s most creative culinary spots, and Bergmeyer Associates to realize the brand through positioning, identity, and an extensive menu program design. Drawing a duality of inspiration from historical Peruvian & Japanese design, pattern and color, the Ruka brand embodies the convergence of traditions central to Nikkei cuisine. This confluence is evident across logo, custom typeface, artwork textures of the interior & collateral.
Rough Yet Refined
The Ruka aesthetic overall rests upon a foundation of modern design form developed with complimentary street art elements for a solution that stands at the intersection of sophistication, opulence and grittiness. The comprehensive menu system includes a cocktail passport with custom watercolor icons depicting the unique libations and a wine menu map, organized by the elevation at which the grapes are grown. Each piece designed for the restaurant includes layers of interest, artwork, color, typography, and pattern that create an overtly engaging and yet surprisingly refined identity.
- Art of the Menu
- Shop! Design Silver Award
- Boutique and Lifestyle Lodging Association Stay Boutique Award
- Boston Magazine, Top New Restaurants
- America’s Best Restaurant Murals & Graffiti Shortlist
- Boutique & Lifestyle Lodging Association, Boutique Restaurant
- Boutique Design NY Gold Key Finalist
- HOW International Design Award: Identity